Need to appoint a customs broker, agent or representative? What to believe ….
Selecting the proper partner to manage your imports and exports is crucial for trade success. There are some essential points to think about, argues Arne Mielken from Customs Manager Ltd.
Customs brokers or agents can affect import and export declarations on your behalf. Many businesses plan to use an intermediary because customs declarations are often complicated. you'll hire an individual or business to affect customs for you, such as:
- freight forwarders
- customs agents or brokers
- fast parcel operators
What they will do for you (and who are going to be liable) depends on:
- the services they supply
- what you would like them to try to
- the commercial agreement you've got with them
What sort of representation?
They can act for you either as a:
- direct representative
- indirect representative
They cannot act on your behalf without written instructions from you. The instruction must show whether they’re acting for you directly or indirectly. Customs authorities may invite evidence of the authorization.
What shall I consider before appointing an agent?
Before appointing one, there are several things to think about, such as:
- your business requirements – the sort of products you progress, how often you progress them and where you progress them to or from
- volumes – what percentage declarations you expect to form
- licensing – whether your goods need a license, special handling, or other specialist control
- timing – whether your goods got to arrive within a selected timeframe
- your customs training needs
Being clear on these points will allow you to form an informed decision when appointing an intermediary to assist you with customs processes for.
There are lots of export consultant that you can hire online, they can also make your business an ITAR compliant which is a requirement for most of the businesses who are into export industry. An ITAR compliance is needed for those companies that are export digital articles, firearms, ammunitions, and other related services.